A few years ago I went through a “love for almonds” phase… then I tasted glazed almonds… and let’s just say I thought they were delicious. Ok I admit that I may have overdone it but in moderation nuts are extremely healthy for you as well as tasty.
Candied nuts are great as a sweet and crunchy snack or even on top of a salad. They are so easy to make at home and they taste amazing.
I found this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks which is by far one of my best purchases: Kosher By Design: Short on Time By Susie Fishbein.
Here is a link to this book so you won’t get confused because she has several different ones:
- 8oz of mixed nuts- almonds, pecans, cashews, walnuts (use whichever you prefer)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water and honey and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Put the nuts in a large bowl and spill Sugar-Water mixture on it. Mix to evenly coat all the nuts.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the nuts onto the cookie sheet in a single layer without putting any on top of each other.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet onto another tray lined with parchment paper and let the nuts cool.
- Serve once they cooled and store in an airtight container.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
“Preserving the health by too strict a regimen is a wearisome malady.”
~ François Duc de la Rochefoucauld