Summer is here and it’s time to get your blenders out and start buying all those delicious seasonal fruits! With countless smoothie recipes they are the perfect solution for a creamy breakfast, light snack or dessert.
SMOOTHIES are so easy to make and are a great idea to make at a Sunday afternoon brunch. What I love about smoothies is that they are always so colorful and you can put different garnishes to make them stand out.
My mother just bought me a book filled with over 150 drink recipes. The first drink I made was the “Berry Good Smoothie” and it was so simple because I bought a few bags of frozen berries.
Tips to keep in mind:
1. Put the fresh fruit in the blender before you add any ice or partially frozen fruit. You want the fruit to puree first, so the ice has something to blend into.
2. Frozen nonfat yogurt, sherbet and sorbet make terrific additions to smoothies, but they need to be softened slightly for the creamiest drink.
3. For healthier and lighter drinks decorate the smoothies with paper umbrellas, tall straws, lemon or mint leaves rather than fattening garnishes.
Check out this site for some other great ideas and recipes:
MIXED BERRY SMOOTHIE
1 ½ cups of fresh or frozen strawberries
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup apple juice
1 container vanilla yogurt
½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
3 ice cubes
Mint Leaves/ Lemon (optional for garnish)
1. Combine the fruit, juice and yogurt and process in the blender until mixture is smooth
2. Add ice cubes and process until smooth. Pour into glasses and garnish. (makes tweo 12 oz servings)
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
“Summer afternoon- summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language”